noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound formed in the blood by the binding of carbon monoxide to haemoglobin. It is stable and therefore cannot absorb or transport oxygen.More example sentences
- What happens is the CO combines with the haemoglobin in the blood to form the relatively stable carboxyhaemoglobin and renders the blood ineffectual as an oxygen carrier.
- When haemoglobin mixes with carbon monoxide it produces a compound called carboxyhaemoglobin.
- Pulse oximetry cannot differentiate between oxyhaemoglobin and carboxyhaemoglobin, and may therefore give normal results.
More definitions of carboxyhaemoglobinDefinition of carboxyhaemoglobin in:
- The US English dictionary