- An organic acid containing a carboxyl group. The simplest examples are methanoic (or formic) acid and ethanoic (or acetic) acid.More example sentences
- Formic acid belongs to the family of carboxylic acids and has the chemical formula HCOOH or HCO 2 H.
- A special form of carboxylic acids are the amino acids, which are carboxylic acids that also have a nitrogen-containing group called an amine group in the molecule.
- Previously, researchers had found inside meteorites other organic, carbon-based compounds that play major roles in life on Earth, such as amino acids and carboxylic acids, but no sugars.
More definitions of carboxylic acidDefinition of carboxylic acid in:
- The US English dictionary