Definition of cardioid in English:
1A heart-shaped curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls around another identical circle.
- M is the point of the moving circle that traces the cardioid.
- The caustic of a circle with radiant point on the circumference is a cardioid, while if the rays are parallel then the caustic is a nephroid.
- For the special case of b = a, the result is a two-dimensional heart-shaped curve known as the cardioid.
1.1 (also cardioid microphone) A directional microphone with a heart-shaped pattern of sensitivity.
- These microphones are invariably cardioid microphones, meaning that the shape of the sound sensitive field around the mike is in the shape of a heart, essentially picking up sound in both forward and side directions.
- DPA calls this mic a wide cardioid, and, indeed, between 500 Hz and 10k Hz, the 4015's polar response begins to resemble an omni mic.
- For the upright, I used two mics: one cardioid large-diaphragm near the floor, pointing up at the bridge, and the xt up closer to the players' right hand to capture more of the string noise and attack.
adjectiveBack to top
Mid 18th century: from Greek kardioeidēs 'heart-shaped', from kardia 'heart' + eidos 'form'.
Definition of cardioid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.