noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Abnormal enlargement of the heart.More example sentences
- A physical examination showed stable vital signs but severe cardiomegaly and congestive heart failure.
- Manifestations include cardiomegaly, heart murmur (mitral regurgitation, aortic regurgitation), friction rub secondary to pericarditis, and congestive heart failure.
- These factors are previous thromboembolism, left atrial thrombus, marked cardiomegaly, heart failure, dilated left atrium, or spontaneous echocontrast.
1960s: from cardio- + Greek megas, megal- 'great'.
More definitions of cardiomegalyDefinition of cardiomegaly in:
- The US English dictionary