1A NE Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. Also called wax palm.
- Copernicia cerifera, family Palmae.
- To protect itself against dehydration during the period of drought that severely affects the Northeast region of Brazil every year for more than six months, the Carnauba covers its leaves with a thick layer of wax.
1.1 (also carnauba wax) [mass noun] Wax from the carnauba palm, used as a polish.
- The apples all shimmer like celebrities at a premiere, because they are given a shiny coating with carnauba wax (also used in shoe polish).
- Important ester waxes include carnauba wax, lanolin, beeswax, and spermaceti.
- Other important waxes include carnauba wax and spermaceti.
Words that rhyme with carnaubacatawba, dauber, Micawber
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: car|nauba
Definition of carnauba in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.