- 1A semi-precious stone consisting of a dull red or reddish-white variety of chalcedony (quartz): [as modifier]: carnelian beadsMore example sentences
- Other common stones are carnelians, which are a semi-opaque reddish orange, and turquoise from Iraq, which is sky blue.
- Another coiffure ornament from the 1904 display, now vanished but shown in the center of Plate V, consisted of silver filigree, carnelians, garnets, and enamel blackberries and leaves.
- The berries are an unusual creation of repousse silver covered in enamel and interspersed with carved carnelians and Mexican opals.
- 1.1A dull red colour.More example sentences
- I ordered two of these blankets, one in Carnelian and the other in Brown.
late Middle English: from Old French corneline; the prefix car- being suggested by Latin caro, carn- 'flesh'.
More definitions of carnelianDefinition of carnelian in:
- The US English dictionary