Definition of carnet in English:
1A book of tickets for use on public transport in some countries.
- Renilson has also introduced other innovations such as more accessible timetables, buses every 10 minutes on urban corridors, carnets of tickets and add-on fares with ScotRail and Citylink.
- I caused bottlenecks in front of crowded Métro barriers, frantically scrabbling through my satchel for that sad little bag containing my carnet of tickets.
- This, as you might gather, is a pack of six bus tickets, or for Europeans, a carnet.
2A customs permit allowing a motor vehicle to be taken across a frontier for a limited period.
- He has been accused of bribing and forging carnets, a type of customs document required for transit passage of land vehicles through certain countries.
- This made it impossible for Bulgarian trucks to travel with Georgian carnets.
- Dimitrov said that travelling with a fake carnet was impossible because carnets were issued by a licensed authority in the country in which the truck was registered.
1920s: from French, 'notebook'.
Words that rhyme with carnetManet
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.