noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- An orange or red plant pigment found in carrots and many other plant structures. It is a terpenoid hydrocarbon with several isomers, of which one ( beta-carotene) is important in the diet as a precursor of vitamin A.More example sentences
- In most cases, early spring grass will contain fairly high levels of carotene (precursor to vitamin A) and will adequately meet the cow's requirement.
- The best defense then, is to provide a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to gain as many nutrients as possible, while frequently offering those foods known to be high in carotene or vitamin A.
- Laboratory tests only showed low carotene and vitamin A, indicating malabsorption.
mid 19th century: coined in German from Latin carota (see carrot).
More definitions of caroteneDefinition of carotene in:
- The US English dictionary