Definition of carotid in English:
Relating to or denoting the two main arteries which carry blood to the head and neck, and their two main branches.
- Blood was obtained by carotid artery laceration.
- The catheter is inserted either at the front of the elbow, for investigation of the neck arteries (a carotid angiogram), or in the groin for a coronary angiogram.
- As he buttoned up his shirt, I noticed the scar on his neck from previous carotid surgery.
nounBack to top
Each of the carotid arteries.
- Palpation of the carotids, thyroid or abdominal organs was impossible.
- The ancients knew that pressure on the carotids could put someone to ‘sleep’ sometimes permanently.
- From the aorta these bubbles would have gone straight up the carotids to her brain.
Definition of carotid in:
- US English dictionary