noun (plural same)
A deep-bodied freshwater fish, typically with barbels around the mouth. Carp are farmed for food in some parts of the world and are often kept in large ponds.
- Family Cyprinidae (the carp family): several genera and species. The family includes the majority of freshwater fishes in Eurasia, Africa, and North and Central America
- One species, the silver carp, is known to jump completely out of the water when a boat passes, in some cases injuring passengers.
- Six ducks and 5,000 grass and silver carp have been introduced into the reborn lake to conserve its ecology.
- Experts will try to net all the native carp, bream and tench in the lake and take them to a fish farm before putting the poison into the water.
Complain or find fault continually about trivial matters: I don’t want to carp about the way you did it
More example sentences
- It might seem carping to find fault in such a dazzling and fully realized novel.
- And the rest of the time she carped, criticized, verbally and sometimes physically abused her adopted son while fawning obnoxiously over his ‘perfect’ sister.
- Her critics have carped about the book-jacket, made allegations of sloppiness and even made fun of her hair.
informal gripe, beef, bellyache, bitch, whinge, nitpick, pick holes, split hairs, sound off, kick up a fuss, knock
Northern English informal mither
North American informal kvetch
complaining, cavilling, grumbling, moaning, grousing, grouching, grouchy, whining, bleating, fault-finding, quibbling, niggling, captious, nagging;
critical, criticizing, censorious, condemnatory, disparaging, scathing, slighting, reproachful, deprecatory, hypercritical, overcritical, pedantic, hard/difficult/impossible to please
British informal chuntering
Northern English informal mithering
North American informal kvetching
- Example sentences
- Let all keep it up and hope that the carpers and whingers will see the light and come on board.
- Do we really want the carpers and complainers, of whatever creed, to get programmes banned?
- Inevitably the snipers and the carpers have done their worst to make life uncomfortable for him.