- 1A small cubicle with a desk for the use of a reader or student in a library.More example sentences
- The courtroom in Arusha looks like a high-school library, with practical carpeting and schoolhouse desks divided by carrels.
- In this design 150 workstations, most with computer terminals, replaced stacks containing books and carrels within the Building 8 library designed by Edmond and Corrigan.
- An open central court provided natural lighting and quiet space with carrels for each graduate student and postdoctoral visitor.
late 16th century: apparently related to carol in the old sense 'ring'.
More definitions of carrelDefinition of carrel in:
- The US English dictionary