Definition of carriageway in English:
1Each of the two sides of a dual carriageway or motorway, each of which usually have two or more lanes: the eastbound carriageway of the M4
More example sentences
- On Sunday the cones will be changed and work will start on the other side of the eastbound carriageway.
- Suddenly the coach crossed the central reservation and collided with a public light bus travelling in the inner lane of the eastbound carriageway.
- The woman landed in the middle lane of the eastbound carriageway, but, miraculously, she wasn't hit by a vehicle.
1.1The part of a road intended for vehicles rather than pedestrians.
- The lady driver deftly swung the vehicle back onto the carriageway and we sped up the Lisburn Road.
- Road sweepers were drafted in to clear the carriageway while damaged vehicles were recovered.
- The increase in vehicles and the reduced carriageway made it difficult for them to move along the city roads.
Words that rhyme with carriagewayanyway • entryway
Definition of carriageway in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.