Definition of carriole in English:
1 historical A small open horse-drawn carriage for one person.
- As dusk drew near there was a general handshaking, and the carrioles scurried off along the highway.
- On arriving at the station we secured rooms and our two carrioles were put into the coach-house.
- When the clashes broke out my brother insisted on returning the cariole to its owner.
2(In Canada) a kind of sledge pulled by a horse or dogs.
- The road passes through beautiful, wild scenery and twice crosses the glacier and on busy days, up to 40 sturdy little Fjord horses pulling traditional cariole carts carry visitors.
- Kane made a sketch of this 1848 dog train that shows both sledges and carioles.
- Our visitor had travelled in a dog cariole.
Words that rhyme with carrioledariole
Definition of carriole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia