- (Of a method of persuasion or coercion) characterized by both the offer of reward and the threat of punishment: a carrot-and-stick approachMore example sentences
- Instead, they often employed a carrot-and-stick method by lightening heavy classical programs with occasional sentimental songs drawn from folk culture.
- They drew upon a pre-existing fund of conservatism amongst some peasants and workers, while carrot-and-stick methods encouraged many more to join.
- It was clear from his presentation that the carrot-and-stick methods of welfare delivery worked.
More definitions of carrot-and-stickDefinition of carrot-and-stick in:
- The US English dictionary