1 Anatomy Made of cartilage.
- It is formed by cartilaginous, bony and connective tissue structures.
- The human larynx is composed of cartilaginous tissue that early in adulthood progressively undergoes ossification.
- There are three types of joints, fibrous, cartilaginous, and synovial.
1.1 Zoology (Of a vertebrate animal) having a skeleton of cartilage.
- Since sturgeons and paddlefish have lost many traits of most bony fish - they lack scales and have a cartilaginous skeleton - their fossil records are very sparse.
- The freshwater sawfish, a ray, is related to stingrays, skates, sharks, and other fishes with cartilaginous skeletons.
- This property (among others) allows the tail to be light and flexible, yet stiff enough to generate thrust in the absence of a bony or cartilaginous skeleton.
Words that rhyme with cartilaginousfarraginous, oleaginous
Definition of cartilaginous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.