A fish of a class distinguished by having a skeleton of cartilage rather than bone, including the sharks, rays, and chimaeras. Compare with bony fish.
- Class Chondrichthyes: subclasses Elasmobranchii (sharks and rays) and Hoplocephali (chimaeras)
More example sentences
- By the late Devonian, 360 million years ago, early cartilaginous fish and bony fish were diversifying.
- An unorthodox scenario placing cartilaginous fish within bony fish has been suggested but has received no additional support.
- First appearing on Earth almost 450 million years ago, cartilaginous fish today include both fearsome predators and harmless mollusc-eaters (harmless, that is, unless you are a mollusc).
More definitions of cartilaginous fishDefinition of cartilaginous fish in:
- The US English dictionary