1A small, light box or container in which drinks or foodstuffs are packaged: a carton of milk
More example sentences
- Sand also drank her small carton of milk, which had gotten a bit warm since she had been handed it.
- He walked to the kitchen, still sleepy, and took a long drink form the carton of milk.
- Ask what their favourite sandwich is and give them a small carton of milk or a yogurt drink as a treat.
1.1North American A large container of goods.
- It appears in newspapers and magazines and on bottles, envelopes, cardboard cartons, and other containers.
- Empty pesticide bags and cartons can be burned unless the law prohibits such, but you must keep away from the toxic smoke.
- People using the recycling facility are asked to segregate plastic bottles, cartons, food tins, tetra packs and beverage cans.
Early 19th century: from French, from Italian cartone (see cartoon).
Words that rhyme with cartonAkhenaten, Akhetaten, Aten, Barton, Dumbarton, hearten, Parton, smarten, spartan, tartan
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.