1A small, light box or container in which drinks or foodstuffs are packaged: a carton of milk
More example sentences
- Sand also drank her small carton of milk, which had gotten a bit warm since she had been handed it.
- He walked to the kitchen, still sleepy, and took a long drink form the carton of milk.
- Ask what their favourite sandwich is and give them a small carton of milk or a yogurt drink as a treat.
1.1North American A large container of goods.
- It appears in newspapers and magazines and on bottles, envelopes, cardboard cartons, and other containers.
- Empty pesticide bags and cartons can be burned unless the law prohibits such, but you must keep away from the toxic smoke.
- People using the recycling facility are asked to segregate plastic bottles, cartons, food tins, tetra packs and beverage cans.
Early 19th century: from French, from Italian cartone (see cartoon).
Words that rhyme with cartonAkhenaten, Akhetaten, Aten, Barton, Dumbarton, hearten, Parton, smarten, spartan, tartan
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: car¦ton
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.