Definition of cartophily in English:
The collecting of picture cards, such as postcards or cigarette cards, as a hobby.
- Complete sets of MacDonald's cricketers or Taddy's clowns rank among the blue chips of cartophily.
- Cartophily bloomed in the early part of the 20th century as cartophily shops and clubs were formed to support the popular pastime.
- So far, I am conscious that I may be painting an extremely rose-coloured picture of cartophily.
- Example sentences
- The greatest show on earth - for cartophilists, or card collectors - has come to Yorkshire, recalling the days when you really could get an education off the back of a cigarette packet.
- I would not call myself a true cartophilist since my interest in the hobby is extremely limited.
- Recently however, fellow cartophilist John Cotton has sent information which shows that it is possible to differentiate between the two printings, but the difference is subtle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan