Definition of caruncle in English:
1A wattle of a bird such as a turkeycock.
- Adding to what Dominique just said, while feathers are by far the predominant outgrowths there are other bizarre protrusions, and I am not talking about the wattles or the caruncles.
- You can even tell when a turkey isn't feeling well by looking at their caruncle or wattle because they become very pale and colorless.
3 Botany A coloured waxy or oily outgrowth from a seed near the micropyle, attractive to ants which aid the seed’s dispersal.
- The seed of this plant has a caruncle that may be involved in seed-ant interactions.
- The ant stopped to examine the gorse seeds, it quickly found the bright orange caruncle and immediately began to bite and gnaw it.
- Example sentences
- The number of caruncular cells did not vary between breeds with normal or induced parturition.
- The uterus contracts and the caruncular stock shrinks, further enhancing the separation of cotyledons from caruncles.
- Samples were taken from the caruncular region of their uterine horns.
Definition of caruncle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.