Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of carveout in English:
1.1A class of medical procedures treated separately with regard to insurance coverage.
- In the early days of carveouts, the medical profession watched them with a wary - if trusting - eye.
- Texas' NorthSTAR program is a managed care mental health carveout that serves Medicaid and medically indigent patients in Dallas and six adjacent counties.
- ‘I have had the opportunity to observe both public and for-profit managed care, especially when it comes to mental health carveouts,’ she said.
2The activity of effecting a carveout.
- ‘Carveouts are here in full force,’ said Greenberg. ‘It's better to work with us than to make a statement that carveouts are bad and then just leave.’
- A 2 percentage point carveout of Social Security taxes to fund private accounts?
- In the spiral that operated in respect of WC [Workers' Compensation] carveout and related business, losses were inevitable year in, year out.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.