1A person who carves a hard material professionally: an ivory carver
More example sentences
- In a rainforest environment, wood is the most easily available material and Sepik carvers are renowned craftsmen.
- He noted that the permanent workforce at Coalbrookdale included artists, modellers, carvers, pattern-makers, moulders, finishers, painters, gilders and decorators.
- Like stone, wood is an unforgiving material that demands a carver with a sure sense of design, an unerring eye for infinitesimal detail, and the patience of Job.
3A person who cuts and serves the meat at a meal.
- Center the roast on a carving board that is long enough to allow the carver to cut the meat without spilling on the tablecloth.
- The waiters and meat carvers were quite friendly, some more than others.
- Such a criticism could not be made of his own book, which devotes 10 chapters to the status and duties of a carver, and no fewer than 76 chapters to the carving of particular foodstuffs.
Words that rhyme with carverbalaclava, Bratislava, cassava, Costa Brava, guava, Java, kava, larva, lava, palaver
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: car¦ver
Definition of carver in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.