- 1A person who carves a hard material professionally: an ivory carverMore example sentences
- In a rainforest environment, wood is the most easily available material and Sepik carvers are renowned craftsmen.
- He noted that the permanent workforce at Coalbrookdale included artists, modellers, carvers, pattern-makers, moulders, finishers, painters, gilders and decorators.
- Like stone, wood is an unforgiving material that demands a carver with a sure sense of design, an unerring eye for infinitesimal detail, and the patience of Job.
- 2A knife designed for slicing meat.More example sentences
- A sharp carver will give best results.
- The good man is naturally overjoyed when he holds a good-sized handsome shoulder of mutton, in one hand, with a good sharp carver in the other.
- 3A person who cuts and serves the meat at a meal.More example sentences
- Center the roast on a carving board that is long enough to allow the carver to cut the meat without spilling on the tablecloth.
- The waiters and meat carvers were quite friendly, some more than others.
- Such a criticism could not be made of his own book, which devotes 10 chapters to the status and duties of a carver, and no fewer than 76 chapters to the carving of particular foodstuffs.
- 3.1British The principal chair, with arms, in a set of dining chairs, intended for the person carving meat.More example sentences
- A pair of Regency carver chairs sold for €1050 at an autumn auction and you would certainly have to pay more for the same pair in a shop.
More definitions of carverDefinition of carver in:
- The US English dictionary