1The action of carving.
- Beth found the skill amazing in its intricacy, like the fine art of carving filigree.
- After 1922 he concentrated solely on sculpture, becoming influential in disseminating the modern technique of direct carving in the USA.
- This has enabled the use of several different techniques of carving to be identified.
1.1 [count noun] An object or design carved from a hard material as an artistic work: a carving of an Asian elephant [mass noun]: a table decorated with fluted carving
More example sentences
- Gilded statues and carvings adorn the walls and pilgrims come from far and wide.
- Acquiring one for the exhibition was especially important as the carvings are masterpieces of the Palace Museum.
- It was made of stone, and it had carvings of sea creatures carved into the front door.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: carv|ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.