- 1The action of carving.More example sentences
- Beth found the skill amazing in its intricacy, like the fine art of carving filigree.
- After 1922 he concentrated solely on sculpture, becoming influential in disseminating the modern technique of direct carving in the USA.
- This has enabled the use of several different techniques of carving to be identified.
- 1.1 [count noun] An object or design carved from a hard material as an artistic work: a carving of an Asian elephant [mass noun]: a table decorated with fluted carvingMore example sentences
- Gilded statues and carvings adorn the walls and pilgrims come from far and wide.
- Acquiring one for the exhibition was especially important as the carvings are masterpieces of the Palace Museum.
- It was made of stone, and it had carvings of sea creatures carved into the front door.