Definition of carving in English:
1The action of carving.
- Beth found the skill amazing in its intricacy, like the fine art of carving filigree.
- After 1922 he concentrated solely on sculpture, becoming influential in disseminating the modern technique of direct carving in the USA.
- This has enabled the use of several different techniques of carving to be identified.
1.1 [count noun] An object or design carved from a hard material as an artistic work: a carving of an Asian elephant [mass noun]: a table decorated with fluted carving
More example sentences
- Gilded statues and carvings adorn the walls and pilgrims come from far and wide.
- Acquiring one for the exhibition was especially important as the carvings are masterpieces of the Palace Museum.
- It was made of stone, and it had carvings of sea creatures carved into the front door.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia