noun (plural caryopses /-siːz/)Botany
- A dry one-seeded fruit in which the ovary wall is united with the seed coat, typical of grasses and cereals.More example sentences
- Surface-sterilized caryopses were germinated on moist filter paper in Petri dishes on 13 September 1996.
- Immature caryopses were collected, surface-sterilized and rinsed twice with sterile distilled water.
- Maize caryopses were immersed in tap water and then allowed to germinate in Petri dishes on moist filter paper in the dark at 26°C.
early 19th century: from modern Latin, from Greek karuon 'nut' + opsis 'appearance'.
More definitions of caryopsisDefinition of caryopsis in:
- The US English dictionary