Definition of cassava in English:
1 [mass noun] The starchy tuberous root of a tropical tree, used as food in tropical countries.
- Common vegetables are cabbage, beans, mushrooms, carrots, cassava, sweet potatoes, onions, and various types of greens.
- Pineapples, sweet potatoes, beans, cassava, rice, groundnuts and maize are among the main crops.
- They were very hardworking farmers and we used to buy cheap beans, rice, cassava, sweet potatoes and maize from them.
1.1Starch or flour obtained from cassava. Also called manioc.
- The most popular rural staple is ugali, a stiff dough made of cassava flour, cornmeal, millet, or sorghum.
- Sometimes we worked all through the night and it was rare that I ate more than a bowl-full of cassava flour in a day.
- The staple noonday meal is foo-foo, a dough-like paste made of cassava pounded into flour.
2The shrubby tree from which cassava is obtained, native to tropical America and cultivated throughout the tropics.
- Genus Manihot, family Euphorbiaceae: several species
- Cultivated cassava has a higher rate of photosynthesis than is usual for C 3 plants and photosynthesis is not light saturated.
- There are four layers in all, the final one consisting of the cassava leaves and hog's meat on top of hot stones.
- The roots of the cassava plant contain linamarin, a cyanogen which produces the poisonous chemical cyanide when eaten.
Words that rhyme with cassavabalaclava, Bratislava, carver, Costa Brava, guava, Java, kava, larva, lava, palaver
Definition of cassava in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.