- 1A hard, relatively brittle alloy of iron and carbon which can be readily cast in a mould and contains a higher proportion of carbon than steel (typically 2-4.3 per cent).More example sentences
- It had three keyholes and as many huge keys and was apparently made of cast iron reinforced with steel.
- There are two other classes of cast iron which are more ductile than gray cast iron.
- Steel combines something of the strength of wrought iron with the malleability of cast iron.
- 2 [as modifier] Firm and unchangeable: there are no cast-iron guaranteesMore example sentences
- But it is reluctant to issue a cast-iron guarantee that every contract will meet its target, even though none has fallen short to date.
- It combines stock market growth potential with a cast-iron guarantee that savers will not lose a penny if the market volatility continues.
- In this sense, the individual must again decide in each case, giving a cast-iron definition of where they would draw the line.
More definitions of cast ironDefinition of cast iron in:
- The US English dictionary