- The governor of a castle.More example sentences
- The castellan had recognized the seal of the Earl of Thierry on his letters of introduction.
- French noblemen took to protecting themselves in fortified buildings that were known as castellans - these served as private fortifications in which people and animals were protected from these feared invaders
- Until then, uprisings against the new Norman régime had been confined to local spats prompted mainly by the heavy-handed actions of overzealous castellans.
late Middle English: from Old Northern French castelain, from medieval Latin castellanus, from Latin castellum (see castle).
More definitions of castellanDefinition of castellan in:
- The US English dictionary