- A rope whip with nine knotted cords, formerly used (especially at sea) to flog offenders.More example sentences
- Flogging with the cat-o'-nine-tails and hanging were the major punishments.
- Selina ignored him, but I thought I could detect a hint of longing in the way she fingered the whip looped at her belt (a cat-o'-nine-tails).
- Jesus is beaten with canes, then with an early version of a cat-o'-nine-tails.
More definitions of cat-o'-nine-tailsDefinition of cat-o'-nine-tails in:
- The US English dictionary