- A tree with large heart-shaped leaves, clusters of trumpet-shaped flowers, and slender bean-like seed pods, native to North America and eastern Asia and cultivated as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Catalpa, family Bignoniaceae: several species, in particular the Indian bean tree
- In addition to those mentioned above, these include such well-known trees as quaking aspen, boxelder, northern catalpa, American holly, chestnut oak, and saguaro.
- The signature plant in her garden is the golden catalpa tree, Catalpa bignonioides Aurea, whose nearly tropical nature seems to warm up Puget Sound by at least 20 degrees.
- This is the northern catalpa, a native to the central Mississippi River Valley but found in 17 states across the U.S. and in southern Canada.
More definitions of catalpaDefinition of catalpa in:
- The US English dictionary