Relating to or involving the action of a catalyst.
- Traces of metal ions (which could act as catalytic redox centres) were similarly ruled out.
- Such a development might be useful in stereoselective catalytic syntheses.
- Many organic molecules undergo structural changes as a result of catalytic reactions with acid or base.
- Example sentences
- In this method, sulfur dioxide gas and air are converted catalytically into sulfur trioxide, a gas that combines explosively with water to form sulfuric acid.
- The reactions above were performed with preformed oxo species, but the researchers also found that the reactions proceeded catalytically under aerobic conditions.
- During refining, these metals form a catalytically active layer with sulfur from the oil.
Mid 19th century: from catalysis, on the pattern of pairs such as analysis, analytic.
Words that rhyme with catalyticanalytic, anchoritic, anthracitic, arthritic, bauxitic, calcitic, critic, cryptanalytic, Cushitic, dendritic, diacritic, dioritic, dolomitic, enclitic, eremitic, hermitic, lignitic, mephitic, paralytic, parasitic, psychoanalytic, pyritic, Sanskritic, saprophytic, Semitic, sybaritic, syenitic, syphilitic, troglodytic
Definition of catalytic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.