- Before this year of disasters even began, it was heralded by a natural catastrophe as sudden and violent as anything that followed.
- Had they been accepted we would have had a local environmental catastrophe and a national commercial disaster.
- This would be a cautionary tale of catastrophes narrowly averted and environmental damage now emerging.
- I mean, it's a catastrophe for the industry that really doesn't need one more.
- Overall it is not thought that the film industry will be too severely affected by yesterday's catastrophe.
- The dread of even a single potential catastrophe and its implications for all industry members outweighed any objection to a reporting system for near misses.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'denouement'): from Latin catastropha, from Greek katastrophē 'overturning, sudden turn', from kata- 'down' + strophē 'turning' (from strephein 'to turn').
Words that rhyme with catastropheanastrophe
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.