- Before this year of disasters even began, it was heralded by a natural catastrophe as sudden and violent as anything that followed.
- Had they been accepted we would have had a local environmental catastrophe and a national commercial disaster.
- This would be a cautionary tale of catastrophes narrowly averted and environmental damage now emerging.
- I mean, it's a catastrophe for the industry that really doesn't need one more.
- Overall it is not thought that the film industry will be too severely affected by yesterday's catastrophe.
- The dread of even a single potential catastrophe and its implications for all industry members outweighed any objection to a reporting system for near misses.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'denouement'): from Latin catastropha, from Greek katastrophē 'overturning, sudden turn', from kata- 'down' + strophē 'turning' (from strephein 'to turn').
Words that rhyme with catastropheanastrophe
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ca¦tas|tro¦phe
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.