- A sailing boat with a single mast placed well forward and carrying only one sail.More example sentences
- For these sailors, catboats offer one of the simplest of all sailing rigs to manage.
- The Nonsuch is no typical catboat below the waterline, and if you are familiar with the considerable weather helm common to most Cape Cod catboats, you will be pleasantly surprised.
- The open sea blows huge out there, white circles curling on the crest of waves like eyes that notice momentarily our piece of shore-a rocking catboat, mangroves, an egret hunkered on a post.
mid 19th century: perhaps from cat (denoting a type of merchant ship formerly used in the coal and timber trades in NE England) + boat.
More definitions of catboatDefinition of catboat in:
- The US English dictionary