1 [mass noun] The action of collecting water, especially the collection of rainfall over a natural drainage area: water catchment continues the whole year round
More example sentences
- Maasai have complained that settlement in the drought-prone area by Kipsigis has harmed water catchment for the Ewaso Nyiro river, which the Maasai use to water their cattle.
- Since we were unable to reach the villages upstream, we cannot establish whether the river had water catchment or storage facilities upstream.
- My job was to assess the water flows and catchment yields of these various areas, so I know them well.
2A catchment area.
- If the latter was the case, there could be a higher risk of winter flooding in a number of the region's river catchments.
- It suggested that 20 catchments / regions highly affected by salinity be addressed first.
- The Tararua Forest Park protects mountain landscapes, considerable tracts of indigenous forests and the upper catchments of many rivers.
Definition of catchment in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.