1Religious instruction given with a catechism in preparation for Christian baptism or confirmation.
- Christian catechesis meant learning the distinctively Christian language formed by the Scriptures.
- If these aids of faith are accepted at all they are often accepted in the early years of life, before catechesis and discursive instruction, before theological reflection and engineered ritual.
- Dan Dolan, who worked with him for six months, said he put great care and effort into everything he did, from saving Mass, to making Christmas decorations, to doing catechesis and outreach in local villages.
1.1(In Roman Catholic use) religious instruction in general.
- On 24 June 1985 the Vatican Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews issued a document with the unmemorable title Notes on the correct way to present the Jews and Judaism in preaching and catechesis in the Roman Catholic Church.
- A commitment to general education and not merely theological education and catechesis followed.
- Forty years ago, we dismantled an extremely effective method of catechesis, the handing on of the Faith from generation to generation.
Mid 18th century: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek katēkhēsis 'oral instruction'.
Words that rhyme with catechesisamniocentesis, anamnesis, ascesis, diesis, exegesis, mimesis, prosthesis, psychokinesis, telekinesis
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cat¦ech|esis
Definition of catechesis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.