Definition of catechetical in English:
1Relating to religious instruction given in preparation for Christian baptism or confirmation.
- The various types of traditions were often related by scholars to the diverse needs of the early church - to missionary preaching, to catechetical instruction, to debate with opponents, or to worship.
- I believe that Anglican Diversity is a strong book for adult catechetical instruction and discussion.
- The church's catechetical instruction takes many forms, but the most succinct statement of Christian belief, often the primary basis for catechesis, is the Nicene-Constantinopolitan creed.
1.1Relating to religious teaching by means of questions and answers.
- MacCulloch further claims that in the wake of Protestant catechetical efforts, ‘Roman Catholics followed suit,’ even though catechisms and catechetical instruction preceded the Reformation.
- They portrayed catechetical instruction as an authoritarian form of indoctrination that forced children to ‘play the parrot,’ repeating back answers they did not understand.
- It addresses traditional catechetical topics, such as Christ's incarnation, death and resurrection, as well as contemporary concerns, such as the problem of evil, faith and science, and Christianity's relation to other religions.
early 17th century: from ecclesiastical Greek katēkhētikos, from katēkhētēs 'catechist', from katēkhein 'instruct orally' (see catechize).
- Example sentences
- He or she must have three years’ experience in major administrative positions related to catechetic or religious education or five years experience as a parish coordinator.
- The catechetic program is one of the largest and fastest growing at the university.
- Most youngsters, she says, get little meaning from the catechetic systems of religious instruction in many parochial schools: ‘One not untypical school, for instance, requires the children to recite the Rosary while they file out for recess.’
- Example sentences
- The Sacrament of Baptism and the Season of Lent are connected catechetically and liturgically.
- We take very seriously our call to publish theologically and catechetically sound resources that meet the needs of today's Catholic Church.
- This document is not in itself controversial in nature, but a catechetically edifying commentary for Orthodox Christians.
Definition of catechetical in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan