(also cater-corner, catty-cornered, kitty-corner)
adverb & adjectiveNorth American
- Situated diagonally opposite someone or something: [as adjective]: a cater-cornered short cutMore example sentences
- But in front of an abandoned building kitty-corner from Johnnie's, ten young men in white T-shirts shift back and forth.
- The house was kitty-corner from an elementary school.
- I drove kitty-corner across the upper middle west, from L' Anse, Michigan, to Redfield, South Dakota.
mid 19th century: from dialect cater 'diagonally', from cater denoting the four on dice, from French quatre 'four', from Latin quattuor.
More definitions of cater-corneredDefinition of cater-cornered in:
- The US English dictionary