noun (plural same or catfishes)
1A freshwater or marine fish with whisker-like barbels round the mouth, typically bottom-dwelling.
- Order Siluriformes: many families, including the Eurasian family Siluridae (see wels) and the Callichthyidae (which contains a number of species that are popular in aquaria, in particular the genus Corydoras)
More example sentences
- The presence of year-round rivers also provides Iraq with freshwater fish such as catfish and members of the genus Barbus.
- Other fishes, such as catfishes and burbots, probably eat the young shovelnose sturgeons.
- Especially well adapted to low or nonexistent light levels are several new species of electric fishes and catfishes.
More definitions of catfishDefinition of catfish in:
- The US English dictionary