- A material used for the strings of some musical instruments, made of the dried twisted intestines of sheep or horses (but not cats).More example sentences
- Earlier, patients had to buy all the essential items required for surgical operations such as gloves, catgut (surgical sutures), and even cleaning material like liquid iodine.
- Women who consented to participate in the study were assigned randomly before labor to chromic catgut or fast-absorbing synthetic suture.
- Strings were made from catgut: animal lovers will be relieved to know that wire is used today.
late 16th century: the association with cat1 remains unexplained.
More definitions of catgutDefinition of catgut in:
- The US English dictionary