Definition of cation in English:
A positively charged ion, i.e. one that would be attracted to the cathode in electrolysis. The opposite of anion.
- When two atoms swap electrons to produce a cation and an anion, the two ions are attracted to each other.
- The key step in a unimolecular reaction is the formation of the carbon cation, or carbonium ion, by the departure of the leaving group.
- The functional groups of iron hydroxides may sequestrate some cations and anions.
- Example sentences
- The primary conditioning ingredients are cationic surfactants, silicones, and polymers.
- More than a decade of research into nonviral gene delivery has yielded a number of synthetic cationic lipids and polymers with transfection activity.
- The development of both cationic and anionic exchange materials did not occur until 1935.
Words that rhyme with cationflatiron
Definition of cation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan