A positively charged ion, i.e. one that would be attracted to the cathode in electrolysis. The opposite of anion.
More example sentences
- When two atoms swap electrons to produce a cation and an anion, the two ions are attracted to each other.
- The key step in a unimolecular reaction is the formation of the carbon cation, or carbonium ion, by the departure of the leaving group.
- The functional groups of iron hydroxides may sequestrate some cations and anions.
- More example sentences
- The primary conditioning ingredients are cationic surfactants, silicones, and polymers.
- More than a decade of research into nonviral gene delivery has yielded a number of synthetic cationic lipids and polymers with transfection activity.
- The development of both cationic and anionic exchange materials did not occur until 1935.
Definition of cation in:
- The US English dictionary