- A downy, hanging flowering spike of trees such as willow and hazel, pollinated by the wind.More example sentences
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- Some varieties shed pollen from the male catkins before the female flowers are receptive, and so require pollen from another variety with a later pollen maturation date.
- They also eat fruits, berries, twigs, leaves, catkins, and seeds.
late 16th century: from obsolete Dutch katteken 'kitten'.
More definitions of catkinDefinition of catkin in:
- The US English dictionary