- A red clay of the Upper Missouri region, the sacred pipestone of the American Indians.More example sentences
- Our preliminary work has shown it to be highly accurate in identifying such pipestones as catlinite, Sterling pipestone, and Missouri flint clay.
- Nineteen pieces of red stone identified as possible Barron County pipestone or Minnesota catlinite were found at the Fred Edwards site in Grant County.
- Such sourcing problems are not limited to chert; most midwestern archaeologists are familiar with the problems associated with identifying catlinite and flint clays.
mid 19th century: from the name of George Catlin (1796–1872), American artist, + -ite1.
More definitions of catliniteDefinition of catlinite in:
- The US English dictionary