Burn the skin or flesh of (a wound) with a heated instrument or caustic substance in order to stop bleeding or to prevent infection: I’ll freeze the hand and cauterize the wound
More example sentences
- The man cauterized the wound, stopping the blood loss.
- Where did they find the instruments needed to cauterize wounds?
- Any bleeding is immediately cauterized with an arthroscopic electrocautery tip.
- Example sentences
- Another option is electrosurgical cauterization of the diseased tissue, which can be performed to treat implants found during laparoscopy; however, the implants can recur after only one or two years.
- On rare occasions, a nose bleed may require cauterization, which is done by the ENT surgeons.
- These vibrations cut and coagulate tissue simultaneously at far lower temperatures than cauterisation, thus reducing lateral thermal tissue damage.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cau¦ter|ize
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.