noun (plural same or cavefishes)
- A small colourless fish which lives only in limestone caves in North America. It has reduced or absent eyes, and the head and body are covered with papillae which are sensitive to vibration.
More example sentences
- Family Amblyopsidae: four genera, in particular Amblyopsis and Typhlichthys
- Researchers work in the dark caves where the Ozark cavefish evolved with no eyes.
- The Ozark cavefish and Ozark cave crayfish seem to be stable, although actual population sizes are unknown.
- Southern cavefish are important members of their ecosystems and important research subjects for understanding evolution in extreme environments.
More definitions of cavefishDefinition of cavefish in:
- The US English dictionary