The pickled roe of sturgeon or other large fish, eaten as a delicacy.
More example sentences
- The chefs meanwhile offer up such delights as caviar, oysters and kangaroo steak.
- Top with the cooked prawns and salmon roe or Avruga caviar.
- That means each can of Iranian caviar contains eggs from a single fish.
mid 16th century: from Italian caviale (earlier caviaro) or French caviar, probably from medieval Greek khaviari.
caviar to the general
- A good thing unappreciated by the ignorant.More example sentences
- But this is between ourselves as such a proposition unexplained would be caviare to the general.
- As a matter of fact, it remains caviare to the general to this day, and even among persons educated in music there are many who do not like it, or like it only in small doses.
- Poets, like other artists whose work remains caviar to the general, have always sought patronage - from individuals, corporation and governments.