Definition of cecropia in English:
1A fast-growing tropical American tree which is typically among the first to colonize a cleared area.
- Genus Cecropia, family Cecropiaceae
- Carmen made us pause in our conversation to look at the moon, a perfect orange lantern cradled in the arms of a cecropia tree.
- Another tree species on Saint Lucia is bois canon, or cecropia, whose large, palm-like leaves decay very slowly when they fall to the ground.
2 (also cecropia moth) A very large North American silk moth with boldly marked reddish-brown wings.
- Platysamia (or Hyalophora) cecropia, family Saturniidae
- The cecropia moth, for example, produces a peptide that attacks many kinds of bacteria.
- The strategy is a bit like that of northern cecropia moth pupae, which do not stir unless previously chilled for a sufficiently long time.
- The initial discovery was an MLE present in 1000 or more copies in the genome of the silk moth Hyalophora cecropia, which was only distantly related to those we had been studying in Drosophila.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from the name Cecrops, a king of Attica.
Definition of cecropia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan