Any of a number of conifers which typically yield fragrant, durable timber, in particular:
- A large tree of the pine family (genus Cedrus, family Pinaceae), in particular the cedar of Lebanon (C. libani), with spreading branches, and the deodar. A tall slender North American or Asian tree (genus Thuja, family Cupressaceae), in particular the western red cedar (T. plicata)..
- Conifers are evergreen trees and shrubs that include pines, spruces, firs, arborvitae, junipers, cedars and yews.
- The huge evergreen family includes botanicals such as European mistletoe, rosemary, cloves, allspice and holly, as well as conifers, including pines, cedars and cypress.
- There are huge Douglas firs, cedars, and hemlocks behind us, and cougars come down to the lake to drink.
adjective ( literary)
- Example sentences
- He had shifted into a less fanciful mood: and the shadow that followed him was ugly and hulking and wavering upon the cedarn wall of Queen Helen's sleeping-chamber.
- There are no gardens, no streams, no river, no forest (ancient or not), no trees at all, incense, blossom-bearing or cedarn.
- To further this image of sex in nature, which Coleridge loved so much and was a large part of the romantic and pagan idea, the chasm is very much likened to a vagina, with its ‘cedarn cover’ like pubic hair.
Words that rhyme with cedarAïda, bleeder, Breda, conceder, corrida, Derrida, Elfreda, e-reader, Etheldreda, feeder, follow-my-leader, interceder, interpleader, kneader, leader, Leda, Lieder, misleader, pleader, reader, seceder, seeder, speeder, stampeder, succeeder, weeder
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cedar
Definition of cedar in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.