- Hard landscape materials are the walls, floors and ceilings of our outdoor rooms.
- The traditional Scottish tower house has flagstone floors and a vaulted ceiling in the dining room.
- The airy rooms had high ceilings; windows and doors opened onto shady verandahs.
- But many analysts agree that the new price ceilings won't limit the ability of most power companies to make a profit in the region.
- There is no natural ceiling to limit the price of market water.
- Also, strict wage ceilings were maintained on public enterprises.
- The new aircraft will also allow pilots to increase their flying hours from 150 to 200 because of the aircraft's higher operating ceiling.
- The maximum cruise speed of the aircraft is 500 km per hour and the altitude ceiling 9,500 m.
- A number of miles passed under the nose as the aircraft brushed the bottom of the weather ceiling.
- The cloud ceiling was about 9,000 feet, with a temperature of 62 degrees.
- Observations were not made in rain, snow, or fog, or when the cloud ceiling was less than 100 m AGL.
- Unfortunately the dragons can't climb above the cloud ceiling so the five travelers are stuck in the horrid weather.
- Suddenly a thud knocked the shuttle ninety degrees as the crew inside were bashed against the ceiling of the small craft.
The reason ceiling has the -ing ending usually associated with action is that it was originally an action, from to ceil meaning ‘line (the interior of a room) with plaster or ling’, perhaps from Latin celare, ‘conceal’. The sense describing the upper interior surface of a room, dates from the mid 16th century.
Words that rhyme with ceilingappealing, Darjeeling, dealing, feeling, Keeling, peeling, revealing, self-sealing, shieling, wheeler-dealing, wheeling
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.