Definition of celluloid in English:
1A transparent flammable plastic made in sheets from camphor and nitrocellulose, formerly used for cinematographic film.
- The boots have been immortalised on celluloid in her latest film, Strictly Sinatra, directed by Peter Capaldi.
- New materials like celluloid simulated expensive ivory and tortoiseshell.
- Under the current analogue process, finished films are copied on celluloid, put on reels and physically delivered to cinemas.
1.1The cinema as a genre: having made the leap from theatre to celluloid, she can now make more money
More example sentences
- Meanwhile, here to prove the point that less really can be more when it comes to celluloid eroticism is Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan.
- Only this time, kids will get a special mini version of what George Lucas created for celluloid lovers.
- Here's hoping that Fox continues to raid their back catalogue for more intriguing crime celluloid treats.
Words that rhyme with celluloidmongoloid • alkaloid
Definition of celluloid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.