- 1An insoluble substance which is the main constituent of plant cell walls and of vegetable fibres such as cotton. It is a polysaccharide consisting of chains of glucose monomers.More example sentences
- Dietary fibre consists of plant material such as cellulose, hemicellulose, pectin, polysaccharides, gums, mucilage and lignin.
- Several recent publications have described the properties of composites of bacterial cellulose with plant cell wall polysaccharides.
- Major constituents of the cell wall are cellulose, hemicelluloses and pectins.
- 2Paint or lacquer consisting principally of cellulose acetate or nitrate in solution.More example sentences
- The float is then given two coats of cellulose paint to seal it.
- The balsa wood was giving two coats of cellulose paint to seal it.
- Drawn by the smell of petrol and cellulose paint, Angus wandered into a car enthusiast's glory hole.
- More example sentences
- While companies like Iogen, a Canadian biofuel company, research ways to make cellulosic ethanol commercially viable, corn-based ethanol is only affordable to consumers through tax subsidies.
- These data confirmed our earlier conclusions that pointed toward the fact that MWL is more photoreactive when absorbed on a cellulosic fiber matrix, most likely due to the larger surface area provided when it is absorbed on a fiber matrix.
- Unlike conventional ethanol, bioethanol is made not from grain, but from cellulosic biomass, such as wheat straw, sugar cane bagasse, and corn stovers and stalks left over after harvesting.
mid 19th century: from French, from cellule ‘small cell ’ + -ose2.
More definitions of celluloseDefinition of cellulose in:
- The US English dictionary