noun (plural censuses)
- An official count or survey, especially of a population: a traffic censusMore example sentences
- A local census of population, resource audit and needs analysis will also be compiled.
- The traditional way of doing this has been to use death rates or self reported measures of chronic illness derived from censuses or surveys of the population.
- The differences can be accounted for by the fact that these are samples, and not censuses of the population.
early 17th century (denoting a poll tax): from Latin, applied to the registration of citizens and property in ancient Rome, usually for taxation, from censere 'assess'. The current sense dates from the mid 18th century.
More definitions of censusDefinition of census in:
- The US English dictionary