Definition of centrifuge in English:
A machine with a rapidly rotating container that applies centrifugal force to its contents, typically to separate fluids of different densities (e.g. cream from milk) or liquids from solids.
- In simple terms this demands the construction either of large, slowly rotating vehicles or small, rapidly spinning human centrifuges that can be contained within more conventional spacecraft.
- For one of his current projects, he renders and filters the fat out of Kobe beef and he puts the liquid into a centrifuge, which separates it by density into three distinct layers, each with a different flavor.
- A centrifuge may include a fluid separation wall aligned substantially parallel to an axis of rotation and include an inner surface, a void area, and an outer surface.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Subject to the action of a centrifuge.
- The cells were centrifuged and subjected to a mild hypotonic treatment (0.56% ammonium oxalate).
- The packed cell volume is determined by centrifuging the specimen in capillary tubes and measuring the height of the red cell column.
- Samples were centrifuged at 10,000 g.
1.1Separate by centrifuge: the black liquid is centrifuged into oil and water
More example sentences
- In both cases, the solid catalyst was centrifuged out, washed in 40 ml of DI water, centrifuged again, and finally vacuum dried at room temperature for 12 h.
- Water insolubles were centrifuged out and discarded.
- Blood collected in red top tubes can be centrifuged into two layers - white and red cells.
- Example sentences
- The supernatant from the first centrifugation was centrifuged at 10,000 × g for 10 min.
- Soluble and insoluble fractions were separated by centrifugation in glass centrifuge tubes.
- Fluorescence experiments after centrifugation confirmed that there were no vesicles in the supernatant.
Definition of centrifuge in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan