Definition of centrifuge in English:
A machine with a rapidly rotating container that applies centrifugal force to its contents, typically to separate fluids of different densities (e.g. cream from milk) or liquids from solids.
- In simple terms this demands the construction either of large, slowly rotating vehicles or small, rapidly spinning human centrifuges that can be contained within more conventional spacecraft.
- For one of his current projects, he renders and filters the fat out of Kobe beef and he puts the liquid into a centrifuge, which separates it by density into three distinct layers, each with a different flavor.
- A centrifuge may include a fluid separation wall aligned substantially parallel to an axis of rotation and include an inner surface, a void area, and an outer surface.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Subject to the action of a centrifuge.
- The cells were centrifuged and subjected to a mild hypotonic treatment (0.56% ammonium oxalate).
- The packed cell volume is determined by centrifuging the specimen in capillary tubes and measuring the height of the red cell column.
- Samples were centrifuged at 10,000 g.
1.1Separate by centrifuge: the black liquid is centrifuged into oil and water
More example sentences
- In both cases, the solid catalyst was centrifuged out, washed in 40 ml of DI water, centrifuged again, and finally vacuum dried at room temperature for 12 h.
- Water insolubles were centrifuged out and discarded.
- Blood collected in red top tubes can be centrifuged into two layers - white and red cells.
- Example sentences
- The supernatant from the first centrifugation was centrifuged at 10,000 × g for 10 min.
- Soluble and insoluble fractions were separated by centrifugation in glass centrifuge tubes.
- Fluorescence experiments after centrifugation confirmed that there were no vesicles in the supernatant.
Definition of centrifuge in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.